Oscars 2013: Hollywood Boulevard undergoing transformation
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Hollywood's biggest night is less than a week away. Preparations are under way for the Oscars, as Hollywood Boulevard is being transformed.
It's a lot of heavy lifting before Hollywood's heavy hitters are ready to wow the world on the red carpet this Sunday.
With Hollywood Boulevard blocked off, officers are keeping a close watch on security. Many others are turning their eyes to the sky.
"It looks like the rain is going to come in overnight and hopefully clear out by tomorrow," said Academy COO Ric Robertson.
Umbrellas were the accessory of choice, but no extra rain tents will be put up other than the one that is always put up just in case. Extra crews were brought early in the morning, working to beat the rain and ensure it doesn't delay setup.
"We were ahead of schedule anyway," Robertson said. "We can weather it tonight without trouble. The carpet's not down yet."
Just a few steps from the red carpet, a set of bleachers are set up where some very lucky fans will get to sit just feet away from the stars. Officials say 20,000 people from all over the world applied, but only 700 fans were picked to be one of this year's "bleacher creatures."
Something brand new this year is the name of the theater. It is now the Dolby Theatre. Last year, Kodak lost its naming rights right before the Oscars.
With Oscar Sunday just days away, play the My Picks game to choose who you think will win in each award category.
Have a smart phone or tablet? Download the free official Oscars app to get news and updates about the show. It's available for Apple, Android and Kindle devices.
The Oscars will air live on ABC7 on Feb. 24.
Oscar Sunday lineup:
- 2 p.m.: On The Red Carpet at The Oscars
- 4 p.m.: The Oscars Red Carpet Live
- 5:30 p.m.: The Oscars
- 8:30 p.m.: On The Red Carpet at The Oscars
- 10 p.m.: Jimmy Kimmel Live
- 11 p.m.: Eyewitness News
movie news, celebrity, academy awards, hollywood, hollywood wrap
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 41 min ago
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies 16 min ago
- Two men arrested in Simi Valley car thefts
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors