Weakened immune system vulnerable to shingles
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- ABC's Barbara Walters is back on TV after she says she caught chicken pox from someone with shingles.
A recent study finds most Americans know little about shingles, though the disease is on the rise.
In his practice, Dr. Michael Sanchez is seeing more and more patients coming down with shingles. It comes from the same virus that causes chicken pox. Because shingles affects the nerves, it can cause excruciating pain.
Bill Scholten already deals with the pain of rheumatoid arthritis.
"My joints would hurt, they would ache," he said. "I would get swelling in my wrists, in my hands, my fingers will swell."
Scholten takes anti-inflammatory medications for his rheumatoid arthritis, which does weaken his immune system and leaves him vulnerable to infections, including shingles.
"One of the most important infections for people with rheumatoid arthritis, for example, is herpes zoster reactivation, or shingles," said Dr. Kevin L Winthrop of Oregon Health and Sciences University. "Patients with R.A. are 1 1/2 or 2 times at higher risk for shingles than patients not with R.A."
Other risk factors include being aged 50 and older, stress, poor nutrition and a weakened immune system.
Winthrop studied patients who began anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy and evaluated whether using this therapy was associated with an increased risk of developing shingles.
Researchers also compared these patients to those who used other therapies.
"We found an increased risk of shingles in patients using prednisone and that risk increases with higher doses of prednisone," he said.
So how can you protect yourself? Doctors say patients with auto-immune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus, should get the shingles vaccine prior to getting treatment.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film 35 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in...
59 min ago