Halle Berry stars as 911 operator in 'Call'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- In the new film "The Call," Halle Berry plays a veteran 911 operator devastated by a call that ends tragically.
Berry calls the people who do this line of work in real life "unsung heroes" who have to think fast and remain calm.
Does she think she could ever do it?
"No, I'm far too emotional," Berry said. "And, you know, they don't get to know whatever happens either. I kind of like to know how things end."
Berry said "The Call" is full of surprises.
"There are so many things that happen where you go, 'Oh God, I wasn't expecting that' or 'Oh my God, why'd you do that to her?'" she said. "And the bad buy is so creepy. When he's sucking on his fingers and stuff, I'm like, 'What the heck? The guy is nuts.'"
The film involves a serial killer who abducts a teenager and tosses her into the trunk of his car. She's able to call 911, but will Berry's character be able to save her?
Before Berry took on the role, she spent a lot of time in an actual emergency call center. She said it was an eye-opening experience.
"It's fascinating to sit and listen and hear what's really happening in the city," she said. "Behind closed doors and in certain neighborhoods that many of us don't often go to, there's a lot of stuff happening that's frightening."
The same can be said for what plays out in the movie. The end result even scared the star.
"When I saw it, it's the first movie I've ever done in 20 years that I felt like I was watching it like a moviegoer," she said. "I was holding on to the person I was with. I was talking, I was screaming - at myself - 'No! Don't, you dummy!'"
"The Call" also stars Abigal Breslin, Morris Chestnut and Michael Eklund as the serial killer. It's rated R and will be in theaters march 15.
movie news, celebrity, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 2 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested 20 min ago
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 45 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)