Los Angeles News
Snake found at Skid Row storage facility
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 6-foot-long snake was discovered at a Skid Row storage facility frequently used by the homeless.
The storage facility, located on the outskirts of Skid Row in downtown Los Angeles, is where many homeless people keep their personal belongings. It seems someone stored something at bit more exotic.
Charles Johnson, an employee at the facility, said he was cleaning out unclaimed containers Friday morning when he came across a giant snake.
The snake was in a box stashed in a suitcase. It had been there at least a week. Johnson alerted his bosses, who then alerted animal control.
"At 6:30 in the morning, you don't expect that. It's quiet in here, dark, nobody in here except me and my boss, and here we get this object, so wow, my heart kind of palpitated at the time," Johnson said.
An animal control officer was able to get the snake into a sack. They believe the reptile is either a python or boa constrictor.
"It was a good size. It was 3 1/2 or 4 inches in diameter and between 5 and 6 foot long," Johnson described.
People who live and work in the area say they've pretty much seen everything - but a snake in a box still raised some eyebrows.
The snake appeared to be in good health. It was taken to the Los Angeles Animal Shelter in case the owner ever emerges to claim the reptile.
downtown, unbelievable, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Malaysian official: Missing jet hijacked
- Westbound 134 Fwy closed due to police activity
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)