Los Angeles News
Snake found at Skid Row storage facility
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 6-foot-long snake was discovered at a Skid Row storage facility frequently used by the homeless.
The storage facility, located on the outskirts of Skid Row in downtown Los Angeles, is where many homeless people keep their personal belongings. It seems someone stored something at bit more exotic.
Charles Johnson, an employee at the facility, said he was cleaning out unclaimed containers Friday morning when he came across a giant snake.
The snake was in a box stashed in a suitcase. It had been there at least a week. Johnson alerted his bosses, who then alerted animal control.
"At 6:30 in the morning, you don't expect that. It's quiet in here, dark, nobody in here except me and my boss, and here we get this object, so wow, my heart kind of palpitated at the time," Johnson said.
An animal control officer was able to get the snake into a sack. They believe the reptile is either a python or boa constrictor.
"It was a good size. It was 3 1/2 or 4 inches in diameter and between 5 and 6 foot long," Johnson described.
People who live and work in the area say they've pretty much seen everything - but a snake in a box still raised some eyebrows.
The snake appeared to be in good health. It was taken to the Los Angeles Animal Shelter in case the owner ever emerges to claim the reptile.
downtown, unbelievable, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Body found near East Los Angeles College 16 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million 54 min ago
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- San Diego cross memorial removal ordered
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist 17 min ago
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes 36 min ago
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'