Inland Empire News
Chino pursuit ends after police fatally shoot suspect
CHINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A pursuit involving Chino police and a wanted fugitive ended in a fatal officer-involved shooting after the suspect attempted to assault deputies Saturday.
Police began pursuing the suspect through Chino Hills at approximately 5 a.m. According to authorities, the suspect rammed vehicles belonging to citizens and a Sheriff's patrol unit during his attempt to flee.
The suspect led Chino Hills sheriffs and Chino police officers on a chase that reached speeds of up to 90 miles per hour along surface streets and three different freeways.
The car pursuit ended on the southbound 15 Freeway where the suspect lost control of his vehicle on the west side of the freeway, exited his car and led police on a short foot pursuit.
That's when authorities say the suspect entered a running semi truck and attempted to assault deputies with the vehicle. An officer-involved shooting ensued.
The suspect, whose name was not released, was pronounced dead at the scene.
It is unknown if the suspect was armed.
The San Bernardino Sheriff's Homicide Division is investigating the shooting.
officer-involved shooting, car chase, san bernardino county, inland empire news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks