Los Angeles News
Northridge kidnapping suspect pleads not guilty to 37 felony counts
SAN FERNANDO, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 10-year-old Northridge girl last month has pleaded not guilty to 37 felony charges.
Tobias Dustin Summers, 32, was arraigned Thursday in a San Fernando court. He is charged with one count each of kidnapping a victim under 14, kidnapping to commit another crime, first-degree burglary with a person present, and 34 sex-related counts.
Summers and his accused accomplice, 29-year old Daniel Martinez, are scheduled for court appearances on May 22.
Summers is in jail held on $19 million bond since he was arrested in a small Mexican village on April 24 and brought back to the U.S. by FBI agents. Summers had checked himself into a rehab facility in Mexico. LAPD Chief Charlie Beck credited a widely publicized $25,000 reward for Summers' arrest for the tip authorities received.
Martinez is being held on $150,000 bond. Martinez was arrested on March 31.
Martinez is accused of driving Summers to the Northridge home on March 27. Summers is accused of breaking into the house and abducting the girl. Martinez is believed to have briefly driven the two away from the house, then parted ways with Summers.
Summers is believed to have taken the girl to another location and molested her.
City News Service contributed to this report.
kidnap, sexual assault, court case, los angeles news
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 28 min ago
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured 1 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed 7 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination 9 min ago
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks