Inland Empire News
Purse found in search for missing woman in San Bernardino Mountains
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- Deputies resumed their search Friday for a woman who went missing in the San Bernardino Mountains.
Karen Dalman, 59, was last seen on Tuesday in the Crystal Mountain area near Big Bear. Deputies say Dalman and a friend, 56-year-old Bruce Jackson, were on a day hike. They became separated after Jackson's pit bull got loose, and he went after it.
Jackson got lost himself and finally made his way back to his car on Thursday. He then drove home and alerted authorities. Jackson was treated for dehydration, but his hiking partner is still missing.
Dalman's son, Dan Nielsen, also joined the search effort, calling on his close friends to help out on dirt bikes.
A friend of Nielsen's spotted the missing dog, and an item belonging to Nielsen's mother.
"The dog started barking, and then they explored that option and went over there, and that's where the bucket with my mom's purse inside was, and it's kind of going from here," Nielsen said. "But it doesn't look like any of my mom's tracks were in the zone."
Nielsen says he questions why his mother was up in the mountains in the first place.
"My mom doesn't hike, I'll tell you that right now," he said.
Dalman is described as a white woman, about 5 feet 2 inches tall, weighing 125 pounds, with blond hair and hazel eyes. She was last seen wearing a light-colored top, tan capri pants and sneakers.
Forty searchers are being aided by a sheriff's helicopter in the investigation. Authorities say Dalman has no food or water, and there's added concern because she has a medical condition and has difficulty walking.
If you have any information about Dalman's whereabouts, you're urged to contact the Big Bear Sheriff's Station at (909) 866-0100.
The search for Dalman is expected to resume Saturday morning.
missing person, san bernardino county, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 7 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine 2 min ago
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete 37 min ago
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
15 min ago