Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- After years of delays, a gun law signed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2007 is finally in effect.
The law requires all new semi-automatic handguns to come equipped with a device that stamps each bullet with the gun's make, model, and serial number.
The law will not be applied to any of the 1,200 guns already on the state's firearm roster.
The law has angered gun rights advocates including the Calguns Foundation which challenged requirements of the state's handgun roster as unconstitutional in a federal court filing.
The law couldn't take effect as it was supposed to in 2010 because of patents on the technology, including at least one filed by the Calguns Foundation to delay the law's implementation.
On Friday, Attorney General Kamala Harris officially certified and announced that patents were no longer an issue. Former state Assemblyman Mike Feuer, who authored the law, hailed it as a "monumental day for law enforcement."
"This very important technology will help us as law enforcement in identifying and locating people who improperly and illegally use and discharge firearms," said Harris.
Reports show about 40 percent of California's homicides are unsolved, most of which usually involve firearms.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
california, gun control, california news
- Search resumes for hiker in Santa Clarita 16 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 24 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'