Los Angeles Mayor-elect Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Mayor-elect Eric Garcetti is weeks away from taking office, but on Thursday morning, he was at the Getty House, the official residence for the mayor, to meet with outgoing Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.
Garcetti says he'll focus on the economy when he takes office July 1.
"Balance the budget in the long term, to continue the reform we've done on health care and pensions and making sure we live within our means because when we do that, we are able to restore services," Garcetti said.
Villaraigosa said he looks forward to working with Garcetti for a seamless transition.
"This is a man who has a record, 12 years on the city council, council president for a good portion of that time, somebody who is going to hit the ground running," Villaraigosa said.
After the meeting, Garcetti headed to a special city council meeting, where a vote is expected on the budget.
- Charges announced against sheriff's officials
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Man arrested for Ventura transient's murder 28 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in unrelated Pomona shootings
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Nelson Mandela memorial to see world leaders
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- Leighton Meester to make Broadway debut
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke