Inland Empire News
3 arrested for stealing gas from Fontana station
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Three men were arrested after being caught stealing fuel from a Fontana gas station by an off-duty police officer.
Authorities say an off-duty Fontana police officer was at the Mobil gas station at 16925 Foothill Boulevard when he observed a van in the parking lot with a Toyota Camry parked next to it with people who appeared to be lookouts.
According to the officer, the van appeared to be sucking fuel from the underground tanks.
Police responded to the scene and detained the suspects. Officers confirmed the off-duty officer's suspicions and determined that the suspects made it look like the van was broken down and parked it over one of the access holes for the tanks.
Investigators say the suspects had been at the same gas station on Tuesday and had siphoned as much as 300 gallons of fuel over two days.
Freddrick Hunter, 38, Edward Dawson, 32, and Terry Washington, 42 were arrested and booked for grand theft.
san bernardino county, arrest, inland empire news
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 1 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries 51 min ago
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught 26 min ago
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break
- Recycling used water in Orange County
48 min ago