Los Angeles News
Camarillo High School associate principal accused of sex crimes
CAMARILLO, Calif. (KABC) -- An associate principal at Camarillo High School accused of sex crimes was bonded out of jail on Thursday.
Felix "David" Gallegos is accused of inappropriately touching and fondling one adult female staff member and one juvenile female student at the school. Ventura deputies say the crimes occurred during two separate incidents on campus and the two victims were not aware the other had been victimized until the crimes were reported.
Gallegos was arrested Wednesday on four misdemeanor counts of child molestation and one misdemeanor count of sexual battery.
He posted $30,000 bond and was released Thursday morning. He was allowed to leave because his charges are misdemeanors.
"If I take a swing at you and I miss, it's an assault. If I take a swing at you and I connect, it's battery. So sexual battery is that physical contact - that unwanted contact," explained Sgt. Eric Buschow with the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.
Investigators say Gallegos, 41, was placed on administrative leave, pending the outcome of the investigation.
"We have to make sure that we do our due diligence and we protect students, and the safety of students and staff is the utmost important step that we take," said Gabe Soumakian, superintendent of the Oxnard Union High School District.
Detectives say they only know of the two separate incidents, but parents fear there could be more victims.
"I'm sure it was more than just two, because these things are usually on a much larger scale and I really hope other females come forward," said Tracy Markham, a parent.
Gallegos' arraignment was scheduled to take place Thursday but was postponed to Aug. 28.
Eyewitness News tried to reach out to Gallegos, but no one came to the door at his home.
school, sex crimes, arrest, los angeles news, q mccray
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 48 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 28 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 50 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
- Lose weight playing video games, study says
12 min ago