Los Angeles News
Camarillo High School associate principal accused of sex crimes
CAMARILLO, Calif. (KABC) -- An associate principal at Camarillo High School accused of sex crimes was bonded out of jail on Thursday.
Felix "David" Gallegos is accused of inappropriately touching and fondling one adult female staff member and one juvenile female student at the school. Ventura deputies say the crimes occurred during two separate incidents on campus and the two victims were not aware the other had been victimized until the crimes were reported.
Gallegos was arrested Wednesday on four misdemeanor counts of child molestation and one misdemeanor count of sexual battery.
He posted $30,000 bond and was released Thursday morning. He was allowed to leave because his charges are misdemeanors.
"If I take a swing at you and I miss, it's an assault. If I take a swing at you and I connect, it's battery. So sexual battery is that physical contact - that unwanted contact," explained Sgt. Eric Buschow with the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.
Investigators say Gallegos, 41, was placed on administrative leave, pending the outcome of the investigation.
"We have to make sure that we do our due diligence and we protect students, and the safety of students and staff is the utmost important step that we take," said Gabe Soumakian, superintendent of the Oxnard Union High School District.
Detectives say they only know of the two separate incidents, but parents fear there could be more victims.
"I'm sure it was more than just two, because these things are usually on a much larger scale and I really hope other females come forward," said Tracy Markham, a parent.
Gallegos' arraignment was scheduled to take place Thursday but was postponed to Aug. 28.
Eyewitness News tried to reach out to Gallegos, but no one came to the door at his home.
school, sex crimes, arrest, los angeles news, q mccray
- 405 South crash: 11 hurt in 8-vehicle pileup 1 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released 59 min ago
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Baldwin Village fire likely sparked by candle 13 min ago
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen 45 min ago
- Baby falls out of stroller in wild robbery
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video