'Girls in the Band' tells stories of female jazz instrumentalists
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "The Girls in the Band" is a new documentary about women who made amazing music. But most of America never knew they existed, until now.
Starting in the 1930s, the documentary tells the stories of female jazz and big band instrumentalists. In those early days, they made music, but they also battled sexism and racism.
"As a little girl, it didn't occur to me that I couldn't do anything because my dad, without knowing it, was a feminist," said Roz Cron, who is now 88.
Cron became a member of a mostly African-American female band.
"I was very fortunate to be with the International Sweethearts of Rhythm, which was an extraordinary big band," said Cron.
But in those days, playing in the South was tough. Director-producer Judy Chaikin spent five years working on this documentary. She knows it was well worth it.
"These are some of the most wonderful, vibrant, interesting women I've ever met in my life," said Chaikan. "They feel like their lives have been validated by it so, wow, what more can you ask in life than to validate a truth?"
Chaikin says young girls come up to her with tears in their eyes and thanking her for telling the story. Yesterday's courage is tomorrow's inspiration.
"My great-grandchild will know what I did, and my kids are already very proud of me," said Cron.
"The Girls in the Band" is playing at the Laemmle Theater in North Hollywood.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 48 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary 49 min ago
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend 4 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M 26 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'