Los Angeles News
Video shows tow truck crashing into Metro bus in downtown Los Angeles
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- New surveillance video released Thursday shows the deadly crash involving a Metro bus and a tow truck in downtown Los Angeles.
The video shows the speeding tow truck driver running a red light and slamming into the bus. Long-time Metro driver Olivia Gamboa, 47, never saw it coming. She was killed in the collision early Wednesday morning at 5th Street and Broadway.
"I would always see her on #18 bus doing her job. I remember recalling once that she let me in for free just because I didn't have enough money. It's just really heartbreaking," said bus rider Katherine Ramirez, who visited a growing memorial at the crash site.
The tow truck driver, 43-year-old Yosef Adhami, doesn't have a valid driver's license. Adhami has numerous suspensions from the Department of Motor Vehicles. During his last suspension, he surrendered his license.
Adhami also has a criminal record, including fleeing from police. He was involved in a standoff with police in Lackawannock Township, Pa., in January 2008 after leading officers on a pursuit. Adhami was peppered-sprayed after telling police he had a bomb strapped to his body. No explosives were found. Police had tried to stop him for speeding.
Adhami was listed in grave condition at the hospital Thursday night.
downtown, car crash, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis