Orange County News
Body found in trash can on Brea Canyon Road
BREA, Calif. (KABC) -- A homicide investigation is under way in Orange County after the discovery of a body in a trash can.
The body was found in Brea at Brea Canyon Road, near Central Avenue, on Friday afternoon. From the outside, it doesn't appear suspicious. Police said a driver who pulled over and lifted the lid made the grim discovery.
"He decided today to stop and investigate. Once he stopped to investigate, he opened up the trash can and discovered a body inside the trash can. He immediately closed the trash can and contacted the Brea Police Department," said Lt. Jerry Brakebill.
Detectives got the call just after 3 p.m. Police say the witness, who was driving a white minivan, had noticed the curbside bin where it doesn't belong for the past week during his drive to work.
"There's a lot of brush on the side of the road and gravel. It's a wilderness area, but it is unusual. It's not a place where you would typically see a trash can," said Brakebill.
How long the victim had been there and the cause of death will be up to the coroner to determine. Police will also try to trace the garbage can to an exact address, in hopes of finding the murder suspect or suspects.
"The trash can is off in a gravel area, where potentially the suspect would've maybe pulled up and unloaded the trash can. Therefore, we're looking for tire marks and so forth," said Brakebill.
Authorities have not released the gender, race or age of the victim. An autopsy will likely be performed over the weekend.
body found, orange county news, melissa macbride
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case 23 min ago
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Unsolved murder mystery revealed in doc
28 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
16 min ago