Los Angeles News
LAPD officer shot in face in Willowbrook
WILLOWBROOK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Los Angeles police officer was shot in the face and a county probation officer was grazed by a bullet Tuesday night in Willowbrook.
The officers were shot as they attempted to conduct a probation check at a home on the 2200 block of East 117th Street. Police surrounded the home with some taking aim from rooftops.
A SWAT team and dozens of officers swarmed the area around 7:30 p.m. Authorities said the LAPD gang enforcement officer and county probation officer were confronted by the gunman while searching the home.
"One LAPD officer, a 6- to 7-year veteran assigned to the 77th GED, was shot in the face. He sustained a bullet wound into his face. He was taken out the area and transported to a local hospital. I'm told he's in critical but stable condition," Commander Andrew Smith with the LAPD told reporters Tuesday night.
Smith said the probation officer was grazed in the leg. After an exchange of gunfire, the suspect remained holed up inside the house. Neighboring homes were evacuated and eastbound traffic on the nearby 105 Freeway was brought to a halt.
Authorities said they have no reason to believe Tuesday night's shooting is connected to the shooting of two LAPD officers earlier in the day outside the Wilshire Station in Mid-City. But the department is taking precautions.
"We asked all the stations to heighten their security and just be aware that this may be a pattern or there may be more than one person trying to do something. We got no indications that that's happening right now, but in an abundance of caution, we're making sure and we're doing extra security at all our stations," said Smith.
shooting, lapd, los angeles news, amy powell
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- Southern California heat expected to die down 55 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians