Los Angeles News
60 Freeway construction to cause delays this summer
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Planned construction will close or restrict lanes on the 60 Freeway between Fullerton Road and Nogales Street for several weekends. Caltrans is calling it "summer slam on State Route 60."
Four 55-hour lane reductions on the freeway will start next month.
"You take five lanes of traffic and squeeze it down to two, you could have delays. So we really want to encourage people to plan ahead, find alternate routes if they can, use public transportation if they can, delay their trips," said Lauren Wonder with Caltrans.
Caltrans officials say you could experience up to two hours of delays while lanes of the 60 Freeway are repaved. They anticipate traffic will be backed up between the 605 and the 57 freeways.
"It's going to be really, really congested, because even though if they opened it, you can see on peak hours...it's really crazy," said driver Angela O'Young of Walnut.
Two or three lanes will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday on the weekends of July 12, July 26, Aug. 9 and Aug. 23.
Caltrans officials warn to be ready if you are traveling in that area because 16,000 vehicles travel that part of the freeway on any given weekend day. Make sure you have enough gas, that your air conditioning is working, and that you have food and water with you.
And it's not just commuters that use this thoroughfare. There's also a constant stream of heavy trucks. The combination of wear and tear and weak soil underneath the freeway's surface has left it cracked and damaged. Caltrans says it's time to repair it before it's too late.
"This is a great opportunity for us to fix the roadway, and hopefully that will carry us for the next 20 years. So that's basically what we're trying to do, to prevent all these emergency closures," said John Yang, Caltrans traffic manager.
traffic delay, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Rain, winds move into Southern California
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny 29 min ago
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
2 min ago