Orange County News
Severed penis case: Garden Grove woman gets life in prison
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- An Orange County woman convicted of drugging her estranged husband and cutting off his penis was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole. The judge said in his over 20 years on the bench trying various murder cases, this was as cold and calculated as a murder.
Catherine Kieu, 50, who has been incarcerated since the attack, will be eligible for parole in seven years.
The defendant walked into the courtroom in handcuffs and never looked at her victim as he read his impact statement. He told the judge that Kieu stole his identity and crushed his optimism for ever living a happy life in the future.
"It was traumatic," the victim told Eyewitness News after the hearing. "I'm hoping that this will be the last time I ever have to see her."
Prosecutors said Kieu carefully planned out the July 11, 2011, attack. She drugged her husband following an argument after he filed for divorce. Screaming, "You deserve it," she cut off his penis with a 10-inch kitchen knife and tossed it down a garbage disposal, prosecutors said.
The couple had been married for a year and a half before the crime.
During trial, the 60-year-old victim testified that his penis could not be reattached and that he felt as though he had been murdered.
Public defender Frank Bittar said Kieu was born in Vietnam and suffered mental health problems, growing up in a war-torn country. Bittar also said she had been subjected to verbal and sexual abuse by the victim, which the victim denies.
The defense told the judge that Kieu was remorseful for what she had done and asked for probation, which the judge denied.
City News Service contributed to this report.
legal, orange county news, christina salvo
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- 80 pot plants found growing in sign-making biz
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain 30 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate 14 min ago