Los Angeles News
5 Freeway: All north, south lanes reopen at 2 Freeway
ATWATER VILLAGE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- All northbound and southbound lanes on the 5 Freeway at the 2 Freeway are back open Tuesday morning, the California Highway Patrol says.
The southbound 2 Freeway is also open. The northbound 2 transition road to the northbound 5 Freeway remains closed until further notice.
Lanes on the 5 and 2 freeways were shut down after a tanker fire Saturday. A tanker truck carrying fuel was making its way to the northbound 5 Freeway from the northbound 2 Freeway when it flipped over on its side at the underpass. Caltrans says the fire compromised the structural integrity of the underpass, causing the freeways to be shut down.
According to the Los Angeles Fire Department, 8,500 gallons of gas spilled, with most of it burning up in the fire.The rest of the fuel spilled into a storm drain and then flowed into a side channel along the Los Angeles River.
LAFD says they are waiting to hear from county, state and federal officials on how big or small a mess the accident caused.
fire, freeway, road closure, road construction, los angeles news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 26 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 48 min ago
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring 9 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 53 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break