Los Angeles News
Abused pit bull found with gang slogan tattooed on belly
LOMITA, Calif. (KABC) -- A young pit bull named Petey was found abused and in poor health with his tail broken and gang slogans tattooed across his belly.
"I saw some markings and it looked like a spirograph or whatever on his belly. I thought...maybe it's ring worms or something. I ran in the house and got a razor and started shaving and said, 'You've got to be kidding me,'" said a ROMP Rescue volunteer who only wants to be identified as Randy.
Bold black letters were tattooed across Petey's belly, and not just any tattoo.
"I said, 'Oh my gosh, that looks like a gang name or something.' I looked it up online and sure enough, it was," said Randy.
Randy doesn't want his last name used for fear the gang members who once owned the dog may come back for him.
Liz, a good Samaritan, found the canine chained up and abandoned outside a Lomita doughnut shop. She took him to a vet, where he was treated for fleas, worms and an ear infection, but no one realized he was hiding another secret.
"I had everything taken care of. I gave him his shots," said Liz. "I did everything I could think of doing to help him."
Unable to keep the dog, she contacted ROMP Rescue, which helps save dogs and train them for new homes. Randy says he has never seen a dog with a tattoo, much less a gang tattoo. Luckily, Petey's hair will hide the permanent marking.
"I can't even imagine. It's not something that would ever cross my mind to tattoo a puppy like that, because I'm sure there was probably no sedation," said Randy.
Randy said Petey isn't quite ready for a new family. He needs some training and rehab and he's hoping other animal lovers will be able to make that happen.
animal news, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2