Los Angeles News
101 Freeway crash in Encino: Driver of stalled car hit, killed
ENCINO, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man was struck and killed by an oncoming car on the westbound 101 Freeway in Encino Sunday morning, officials said.
The victim, identified as 24-year-old Alfredo Alvara, died at the scene.
The crash happened just east of Balboa Boulevard around 4 a.m. The California Highway Patrol says Alvara's Toyota Scion was stalled in the slow lane after he was rear-ended. Alvara got out and was hit and killed by the driver of a Toyota 4Runner.
Alvara's passengers, 30-year-old Erica Monge of San Bernadino and 23-year-old Teresa Oporto of Fontana were both hospitalized in critical condition. Their conditions have since been upgraded to stable and they are expected to recover from their injuries.
A passenger in the 4Runner suffered minor injuries.
Authorities say the driver of the 4Runner, 30-year-old Robert Graves of Reseda, was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. The CHP says he faces DUI and manslaughter charges.
Alvara was the youngest child in his family. Members of Alvara's close-knit family say he was getting ready to attend school at Cal State San Bernadino. The family says his father also died in a car crash 10 years ago.
His sisters describe Alvara as athletic, hardworking and outgoing.
"My heart just breaks knowing that he will no longer come here to this house, or I will no longer hear him," said his sister, Elizabeth Alvara.
accident, dui, freeway, los angeles news, amy powell
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 20 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 53 min ago
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 42 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 46 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 48 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour