Los Angeles News
Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy arrested for rape, bribery
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy was arrested Monday on multiple charges, including rape and bribery, the department announced.
At approximately 5:30 p.m. Monday, investigators with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Internal Criminal Investigations Bureau (ICIB) arrested Deputy Jose Rigoberto Sanchez, 28, on 11 felony counts including sexual penetration under the color of authority, rape under fear or duress, and soliciting a bribe.
Sanchez, a 7-year veteran of the department, allegedly committed the offenses while on duty.
Investigators received a tip from an informant.
Sanchez had been the subject of a six-month investigation into a 2010 incident, where he allegedly attempted to solicit a bribe and then raped a victim. He had since been relieved of duty with pay.
Monday, Sanchez was relieved of duty without pay.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office took the case in January 2011. The DA filed charges Monday, after what it calls an "extensive investigation."
The sex crimes involve one victim, but investigators say Sanchez tried to bribe others while on the job.
"On duty, the deputy allegedly was trying to illicit favors from individuals that he was threatening to arrest," said Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore.
The sheriff's department has not released where the alleged incidents occurred. Sanchez was first hired to work in the jails and later moved to patrol at the Palmdale sheriff's station.
Sanchez was arrested without incident at his residence. He was held on $1.4 million bond at the Men's Central Jail in downtown Los Angeles. He was scheduled to be arraigned in court on Wednesday.
arrest, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold front moving across Southern California
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film