Orange County News
Man killed in Santa Ana police shooting was unarmed
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Police say the man who was killed in an officer-involved shooting in Santa Ana on Tuesday was not armed. Now, there are three separate investigations underway into the shooting.
Hans Arellano, known to friends and family as Kevin, was homeless. His friends say the 22-year-old had been sleeping behind one of the businesses near the place where he was fatally shot.
Officers were called to a McDonald's restaurant around 3 p.m. after getting a call about a disturbance. There was a confrontation with Arellano, and then a short foot pursuit that ended with an officer opening fire, police said. Arellano was shot once in the upper torso.
"He didn't deserve to die," said Celine Lopez, an ex-girlfriend.
Santa Ana Police Chief Carlos Rojas alleges Arrellano had been involved in two physical assaults on customers at the complex hours earlier. Rojas also said Arellano was identified as a suspect in a previous robbery. It's not yet clear if the officer involved knew his background.
"When that officer pulls that trigger, we want to make sure there is that fear for their life, and any use of force, especially deadly use of force, is handled appropriately," Rojas said.
Police confirm the officer is a 13-year veteran with the Santa Ana Police Department. The officer did have nonlethal weapons available, but it's not clear why she did not use them.
"I'm not angry, I'm just sad. I just feel really sad. I just want justice, and I want to find out exactly what happened and why," said sister Tania Arellano.
Elizabeth Lopez, who says she treated Arellano like a son, says the only thing missing from his backpack was his iPod. Friends wonder if the officer mistook it for a weapon.
Court records show that Arellano pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary in 2012. His family says he was not a violent man and had been going to church every week. He leaves behind two young children.
shooting, officer-involved shooting, orange county news, eileen frere
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting 40 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 14 min ago
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow 27 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes 21 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'