Oscars 2014: Ellen DeGeneres to host 86th Academy Awards
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Talk-show host and comedienne Ellen DeGeneres will host the 2014 Oscars, it was revealed on Friday morning.
DeGeneres tweeted, "It's official: I'm hosting the #Oscars! I'd like to thank @TheAcademy, my wife Portia and, oh dear, there goes the orchestra."
The Oscars will be held on March 2 at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood and will again be produced by Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.
"We are thrilled to have Ellen DeGeneres host the Oscars," Zadan and Meron said in a statement. "There are few stars today who have Ellen's gift for comedy, with her great warmth and humanity. She is beloved everywhere and we expect that the audience at the Dolby Theatre, and in homes around the globe, will be as excited by this news as we are."
The 55-year-old DeGeneres has been hosting "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" since 2003, earning 45 daytime Emmys during 10 seasons. She has hosted the Oscars once before in 2007 and received an Emmy nomination for outstanding individual performance in a variety or music program.
"I am so excited to be hosting the Oscars for the second time. You know what they say - the third time's the charm," DeGeneres said in a statement.
Last year's Oscar show featured "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane as host, drawing 40.3 million viewers - Oscar's largest audience since 2010, including more coveted younger viewers.
movie news, celebrity, award shows, academy awards, entertainment
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors