Los Angeles News
Mexican Mafia prison gang: Montebello locations raided as part of probes
MONTEBELLO, Calif. (KABC) -- Raids were carried out in Montebello Tuesday as part of two investigations targeting the Mexican Mafia prison gang.
Authorities say a drug cartel based in Mexico, a South Central Los Angeles street gang and the Mexican Mafia worked together for millions of dollars in drug sales.
The investigations began more than three years ago and involved a number of agencies at the federal, state and local levels. The investigations culminated with the arrests in Montebello.
Authorities busted up what they described as a business merger between La Familia drug cartel, based in Michoacan, Mexico, a South Central Los Angeles street gang and the Mexican Mafia prison gang.
Investigators say apparently, the drug cartel would supply methamphetamine and marijuana, and the street gang would protect the shipments and money. The Mexican Mafia prison gang handled the distribution and proceeds for a fee.
Law enforcement agencies say in the past three years since the investigations began, more than 600 pounds of methamphetamine have been confiscated or seized, with a total street value of just over $19 million.
More than a dozen arrests including members of the South Central street gang and La Familia associates in Southern California have been made from San Diego to Visalia.
A number of alleged gang members were arrested Tuesday and were processed at the Montebello Police Department.
los angeles news, sid garcia
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 16 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster 14 min ago
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar 15 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 1 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts