Orange County News
Santa Ana beating murder suspect arrested
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was beaten to death in Santa Ana. Police say the suspect intervened on a fight between the victim and his girlfriend.
At about 9:45 p.m. Tuesday, Santa Ana police responded to the 1000 block of Walnut Street following a report of a man on the sidewalk in need of medical assistance.
Officers found a 24-year-old man who appeared to have visible injuries to his upper torso. Fire officials and paramedics pronounced the victim dead. He was later identified as Gustavo Avalos Salazar of Santa Ana.
Investigators say Salazar was involved in a verbal and physical altercation with his girlfriend earlier that night between 9-10 p.m. in the 1000 block of West Berkeley Street. Authorities say a complete stranger intervened and beat up Salazar.
Authorities say the suspect then drove Salazar to Walnut Street and dumped him on the sidewalk.
Santa Ana police tracked the suspect down and arrested him. Jose Miguel Avalos, 27, was arrested for suspicion of murder and booked at the Santa Ana Police Department. An autopsy on the victim is pending. Investigators do not believe the incident was gang related.
murder, arrest, orange county news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 44 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 36 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer 57 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Los Angeles Mission serves Good Friday meals
25 min ago