Los Angeles News
LA County Sheriff's deputy arrested, accused of lewd acts with minor
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A deputy with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is behind bars and facing charges of having sex with an underage girl.
John Augustus Rose, 43, was arrested Thursday afternoon and booked for felony lewd acts on a child 14 or 15 years old.
San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department informed the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department that the deputy was allegedly having sex with the girl. The charges stem from alleged incidents that took place in February and June while Rose was off-duty.
Sheriff's department spokesman Steve Whitmore says the department became aware of the allegations last week and immediately launched an investigation.
"He has been honored by the supervisors as well as others. Some even say that he's a pillar of the community. Having said all of that, he violated the law, took advantage of someone that was vulnerable," said Whitmore. "Obviously, it's not only a felony, but it's not going to be tolerated by anybody in the Sheriff's Department."
Rose has been with the sheriff's department for 22 years. Rose worked for the department's Community Oriented Policing Services Bureau. He was awarded Medal of Valor in 2002 for his role in saving a suicidal and armed woman who became trapped in the Curve Fire.
Eyewitness News attempted to contact Rose at his home in Upland on Friday, but there was no answer. Neighbors say they are shocked.
"I'm in shock because I have girls too," said neighbor Maria Skilbred. "In fact, we've been living here for 12 years and they were there all the time since we moved in. Our oldest one is 26 now, so I have three daughters that are 21 through 26, and they grew up next to him."
Rose has been relieved of duty without pay. He is being held at the Twin Towers Correctional Facility. Bail has been set at $325,000.
arrest, sex crimes, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis