Los Angeles News
105 Freeway reopens as crews fix Hawthorne gas leak
HAWTHORNE, Calif. (KABC) -- The California Highway Patrol says the 105 Freeway has been reopened in both directions in Hawthorne as crews continue to fix a gas leak Monday.
The freeway was closed from the 405 Freeway to Crenshaw Boulevard at about 10:30 a.m. It was reopened about an hour later. The same leak forced the evacuation of more than 100 people three days ago.
A team of experts is on the scene, working about a block away from the freeway. That work is what prompted the freeway closure, which was done out of precaution.
Homes on Condon and Truro avenues north of Imperial Highway remain evacuated. The evacuation is affecting about 37 families and 25 people, who were put up in hotels over the weekend.
The leak happened last Thursday when workers went to cap the abandoned well as part of routine work, which did not go as planned. It is taking some time for experts to make the necessary parts required to finish the job. It is unclear how long that will take.
Golden State Water Company says this is a rare occurrence and the company says that safety is the top priority.
Once the work is done and the L.A. County Fire Department gets the all-clear, the evacuation order will be lifted.
traffic delay, road closure, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 19 min ago
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours 30 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 2 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 26 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder 22 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 23 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq 42 min ago
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks