Inland Empire News
2-year-old dies after pit bull attack in Colton
COLTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Officials said a 2-year-old child has died after a pit bull attack in Colton on Monday.
Police received a 911 call around 5:30 p.m. that a dog had killed a person in the 700 block of West Citrus Street.
When officers arrived at the scene, they found a 2-year-old child suffering from extensive injuries to the upper body. The victim was transported to a nearby hospital but later died of his injuries.
A woman, who rents a room at the home from the victim's grandmother, spoke to Eyewitness News. She did not want to be identified. She said there were seven to 10 pit bulls in the backyard that attacked the little boy.
"It was ugly. His face was all eaten up. He was eaten from the face. He had no clothes," she said.
The woman said she and the victim's uncle were watching the 2-year-old boy, his older brother and her two children.
The toddler had apparently disappeared and it wasn't until she looked out in the backyard that she realized what had happened.
"For about 20 minutes, they couldn't find him until they peaked in the back and they saw him back there," said neighbor Kevin Cardiel. "He jumped out of the window, I'm guessing to play with the dogs, and the dogs grabbed him."
The woman said she was horrified when she saw the toddler lying in the backyard after being attacked by the dogs.
"It was an accident. We didn't know. We thought he was in the room playing," the woman said.
According to investigators, no one else was injured. Authorities said they removed five pit bull-mix dogs from the residence. They were taken to a local shelter. It is unclear how many dogs were involved in the incident.
The boy's parents and his grandmother were not at home when the attack happened. No one has been arrested, but officials said the incident remains under investigation.
animal news, inland empire news, leanne suter
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role