Covered California: Easy steps to online enrollment
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Enrollment for the Affordable Care Act, also known as "Obamacare," will open Tuesday, October 1. In this state the program is called Covered California. But there are many questions surrounding who's eligible, what's available and how to enroll.
That's why Thursday the people behind Covered California showed how easy it will be to sign up online.
You've probably heard a lot about the state's new marketplace for health insurance called Covered California, but you're probably still wondering exactly what is being offered and if it's really affordable.
Many people find the whole thing confusing.
But officials are hoping young, tech-savvy consumers will get on their computers to learn more.
Covered California has presented an online demonstration of how navigate the website and enroll online.
"CoveredCA.com, today people can see what their options are at our website, see what the health plans are in their community, community by community, what they'll cost, what financial support you get," said Peter Lee, executive director of Covered California.
And since this is a historic first, the government is giving eligible enrollees a little extra time.
"After this year, every open enrollment period is going to be three months: October through December. But the starting gate, the first time of opening the Affordable Care Act, a six-month open enrollment period," said Lee.
"If you're a tech-savvy person, do it yourself online entirely. You want to get some help, we're a phone call away," said Lee. "We're also going to have people in every community in the state, licensed insurance agents, certified counselors, to help people enroll. We want to make it as easy as possible."Covered California: What you need to know
health, health care, health insurance, healthy living, denise dador
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony 32 min ago
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre 23 min ago