Jim Parsons, partner to get GLSEN Award
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Emmy-winning "Big Bang Theory" star Jim Parsons and his longtime partner, art director Todd Spiewak, are among the honorees at the upcoming 2013 GLSEN Respect Awards, presented by the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network in Los Angeles.
The ceremony takes place on Friday, Oct. 18, at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills, California. Parsons and Spiewak are set to receive the Inspiration Award.
"Jim Parsons and Todd Spiewak love the opportunity to support causes they believe in and, of course, GLSEN is one of their favorites," the group said in a statement.
Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, an Emmy-winning producer and writer who created the show "Designing Women" and used to work on "M*A*S*H," will be given the Lifetime Achievement Award. The studio Lionsgate, which produces shows such as such "Nashville" and "Orange Is the New Black," will be given the Chairman's Award.
In addition, Kerry Washington, who earlier this year earned an Emmy nomination for her role on ABC's "Scandal," and LA Galaxy soccer player Robbie Rogers will serve as honorary co-chairs at the gala.
In conjunction with the awards ceremony, GLSEN is hosting an online auction with prizes including four tickets to the season finale of "Dancing With The Stars," and a private tour of the ABC7 studios.
Other prizes up for grabs include but are not limited to:
- Lunch with Julia Roberts and Dave Karger in West Hollywood
- "Modern Family" Walk-On Role
- 2 Tickets to the 2014 Oscars Party in West Hollywood
- Audition in LA with April Webster, Casting Director of "Star Trek Into Darkness"
- Extra Role in the Final Season of HBO's "True Blood"
- Walk-On Role on "General Hospital" in Burbank, California
- 4 Tickets to the Radio Disney Music Awards, Pre-Show and After Party
- Pre-Release Private Screening for 25 of "Saving Mr. Banks"
- 2 VIP Passes to the ESPN Winter X Games and More in Aspen
Bids will be accepted until October 30 at: www.charitybuzz.com/glsen
The GLSEN Respect Awards are held annually in Los Angeles and New York and "showcase the work of organizations, individuals, students and educators who have made a significant difference in the areas of diversity, inclusion and the safe schools movement, and who serve as exemplary role models." For more information, visit glsen.org/respectla13 or follow GLSEN on Twitter at @GLSEN and the hashtag #RespectLA.
award shows, celebrity, entertainment
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Malibu whales caught on drone camera
7 min ago