Jamie Dornan cast as lead in 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
NEW YORK (KABC) -- After much behind-the-scenes drama, actor and model Jamie Dornan has been cast as the leading man for the movie version of the erotic best-seller "Fifty Shades of Grey."
The 31-year-old will take over the role of bondage businessman Christian Grey after "Sons of Anarchy" star Charlie Hunnam dropped out earlier this month due to a hefty workload that prevented him from adequately preparing for the movie, reports Variety and Entertainment Weekly.
Author E.L. James confirmed the casting on Twitter, saying, "Welcome to #TeamFifty @JamieDornan1."
Dornan is known for playing Sheriff Graham and the Huntsman on ABC's "Once Upon a Time." He is from Northern Ireland and has also modeled professionally for Calvin Klein.
Dornan is set to star alongside Dakota Johnson, 24, who has been cast as Anastasia Steele, Grey's love interest.
In addition to his roles on "Once Upon a Time," Dornan also appeared in BBC's "The Fall" and "Marie Antoinette."
Shooting for the film adaptation of "Fifty Shades of Grey" is slated to begin in November, with a release in August next year.
ABC News and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured 23 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
11 min ago