Orange County News
Jury selection begins in Kelly Thomas custody beating death
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Jury selection began Monday for the trial of two former Fullerton police officers accused of beating a homeless man to death.
Kelly Thomas died at the hospital five days after a confrontation with police on July 5, 2011. Officers claimed they thought he was breaking into a car.
There are 119 potential jurors, so the jury selection process could take some time.
Manuel Ramos, 39, is charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter. Jay Cicinelli, 41, is charged with involuntary manslaughter and assault under color of authority. Both men were in court for jury selection.
The two defendants and a third officer, Joe Wolfe, allegedly held Thomas down and beat him with fists and a Taser gun. The 30-minute confrontation was caught on surveillance cameras. The defense says the officers were just doing their job.
Thomas, a homeless man with schizophrenia, was later cleared of any wrongdoing.
Judge said told the potential jurors that they would not be sequestered during the possible five-week trial, and many looked visibly relieved because the trial will happen over the holidays.
Ramos faces 15 years to life in prison if convicted, while Cicinelli faces four years if convicted. All three defendants have pleaded not guilty.
"This is the first time in Orange County's history on-duty officers have been charged with murder, and now they're finally going to trial for it," said Ron Thomas, Kelly's father.
legal, orange county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 1 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed 24 min ago
- IE suspect found after escaping from police 48 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 49 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video 18 min ago
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants