Robin Roberts comes out as gay, thanks girlfriend in Facebook post
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- 'Good Morning America' co-anchor Robin Roberts publicly came out as gay in a Facebook post on Sunday.
In the Facebook post, Roberts remembers the one-year anniversary of reaching 100 days after her bone marrow transplant.
She thanked her supporters saying, "I am grateful for my entire family, my long time girlfriend, Amber, and friends as we prepare to celebrate a glorious New Year together."
The post is the first time she's made public mention of her girlfriend, Amber Laing, a massage therapist from the San Francisco Bay Area. Roberts' post was confirmed by ABC News spokeswoman Heather Riley.
ABC News' Jeffrey W. Schneider released a statement Sunday:
"We love Robin and Amber, who we have all known for a long time. We were so touched by Robin's Facebook message today and so thankful for all the incredible support she has in her life."
The couple has been together for a decade.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
abc, television, celebrity, entertainment
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments