Los Angeles News
Venice boardwalk beating suspect arrested
VENICE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One of two suspects caught on surveillance video beating a man near the Sidewalk Café in Venice last month has been arrested.
Apolinar Celestino Lopez, 30, was pulled over for driving at a high rate of speed through Venice Sunday.
LAPD officers soon learned Lopez was the same suspect wanted for beating a man in the 1300 block of Ocean Front Walk on Dec. 13 around 4 a.m.
The assault was caught on video and showed Lopez grabbing a folding chair and hitting the victim several times in the face and upper body. The victim didn't fight back, and the beating lasted for over two minutes.
Lopez left the scene and the victim was transported to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. He suffered a broken arm, as well as a head injury, according to Los Angeles police Capt. Brian Johnson.
Witness James Karhu shot video of the beating from his window, and provided it to LAPD who sought public help to find the suspect.
As the investigation unfolded, officers Lopez as the suspect and obtained a felony warrant for his arrest.
On Sunday, police arrested Lopez during a traffic stop. He was booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, and also faces a possible DUI charge.
No information on the second suspect was released.
Lopez was released on $155,000 bail Monday. His next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 27.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information about the incident was urged to contact the LAPD's Pacific Division at (310) 482-6313.
venice beach, lapd, car crash, arrest, los angeles news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 35 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 59 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon 45 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes 5 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...