Los Angeles News
Northridge hit-and-run: Veterinary student killed, driver sought
NORTHRIDGE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A search is underway for a driver behind a hit-and-run crash that left a man dead in Northridge early Wednesday morning.
Police rushed to the intersection of Balboa Boulevard and Parthenia Street after getting the call shortly before 1 a.m. They found two mangled vehicles and one person lying in the street unconscious.
Authorities said a tan 2001 Ford Ranger pickup truck was traveling westbound on Parthenia Street when it slammed into a 1993 Ford Escort that was traveling southbound on Balboa Boulevard. The truck continued on Balboa and collided with a parked vehicle.
The impact of the crash sent the driver of the Escort flying out of the car even though he was wearing his seat belt, according to investigators. Bystanders who witnessed the crash rushed to help the victim until an ambulance arrived.
The victim, who was dressed in medical scrubs, was rushed to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead. He was identified as Northridge resident Robert Ramage, 24, a veterinary student.
"He was a good kid, a good kid," said a woman who said she was his sister, adding that her brother was coming home from work at the time of the crash.
Police say the driver of the truck fled on foot. The driver was described as a balding white man about 25-30 years old, standing 6 feet to 6 feet 3 inches tall and weighing approximately 230-280 pounds. Two male passengers in the truck also ran away.
Investigators say one of the drivers ran a red light, but they are not sure which driver was responsible. According to preliminary evidence, it appears speed did play a factor in the crash.
If you have any information about this incident, you're urged to contact the LAPD at (818) 644-8021.
san fernando valley, hit and run, car crash, los angeles news
- Search resumes for hiker in Santa Clarita 26 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 34 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- LA launches campaign to shut illegal pot...
14 min ago