Inland Empire News
Andrea Cardosa case: No plea, arraignment postponed
PERRIS, Calif. (KABC) -- Former teacher and school administrator Andrea Cardosa made her first court appearance Wednesday after admitting to police she had a sexual relationship with a student years ago.
Cardosa did not enter a plea, but instead chose to postpone her arraignment to March 7.
The 40-year-old is facing 16 felony counts, including lewd acts with a child and sexual assault of a minor. She was arrested on Monday, two weeks after a YouTube video surfaced, in which a former student accused Cardosa of molesting her.
"Jamie," the 28-year-old woman confronting Cardosa, posted the video online. She says the former Alhambra High School assistant principal molested her when she was a student in Riverside County.
That sexual abuse allegedly took place from the time "Jamie" was 12 years old until she turned 18.
The video also was sent to the Alhambra Unified School District, where Cardosa was working as an assistant principal. Officials referred the case to police, and Cardosa resigned from her post at Alhambra High School.
After that video surfaced, another victim identified as "Brianna" stepped forward. The 18-year-old said that she too had an encounter with Cardosa in 2010. At the time, Cardosa was a teacher with the Val Verde School District.
Cardosa remains behind bars on $5 million bail.
sex crimes, arrest, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Southern California heat expected to die down
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators 41 min ago
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air 57 min ago
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Chile earthquake: Magnitude-6.7 hits north coast
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians