Los Angeles News
Pacoima Middle School lockdown lifted following report of suspicious backpack
PACOIMA, Calif. (KABC) -- Pacoima Middle School was briefly placed on lockdown Thursday morning due to a suspicious backpack, LAUSD officials said.Authorities responded to the 900 block of Laurel Canyon Boulevard around 8 a.m. regarding two suspicious backpack found in the shrubbery at the front gate of the school.
The school was put on lockdown as a bomb squad was sent in to determine if the backpack posed any threat. Homes in the nearby area were evacuated.
Los Angeles Fire Department officials also responded to the scene to check students for possible heat-related issues.
The lockdown was lifted around 11:35 a.m. after authorities determined the suspicious backpacks were students' personal belongings, and classes resumed as scheduled.
No one was treated for any heat-related ailment. While parents criticized some chaos, many said they are glad the school had a plan.
school, suspicious object, los angeles news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks