Save Money / Consumer News
Top 7 hot dogs around Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles has a reputation of being a city obsessed with healthy, calorie-counting dining, yet the City of Angels consumes more hot dogs every year than any other city in the country, beating New York and Chicago! ABC7 teamed up with Citysearch.com to find the top 7 hot dogs in Southern California:
Pink's is famous for their stretch chili-cheese dogs, as well as long lines out front and celebrity sightings.
"You bite into them and they have a signature snap," said Gloria Pinks, a co-owner of the famous eatery.
Pinks has over 50 menu items, like the Giant Jalapeno Dog and the "Lord of the Rings" Dog. Pinks also offers a Dude Dog, which features guacamole, jalapenos and tortilla chips. The unusual hot dog was created by the conductor for the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Gustavo Dudamel.
2. Dodger Dogs at Dodgers Stadium
On opening day alone for the Los Angeles Dodgers, the stadium consumed over 40,000 Dodger Dogs.
Sticking to the original recipe from 1951, Dodgers' Executive Chef Joseph Martin said it's the quality of the hot dog that makes it great, with buns that are hot and soft. "People just love a good Dodger Dog," Martin said.
3. Slaw Dogs
The Slaw Dogs in Pasadena is famous for their gourmet signature toppings.
Owner Raymond Byrne said he is influenced by the different cultures in Los Angeles. "That's where we get a lot of the fun ethnic ingredients, the Asian, the Spanish, the Greek, all coming together on top of our hotdogs," he said.
Here are the hot dogs rounding out the top 7:
Great hot dogs are, of course, not exclusive to Los Angeles:
Orange County: Carm's Coneys in Irvine
Inland Empire: Portillos Hot Dogs in Moreno Valley
Ventura County: Luckys Dog House in Moorpark
There's no way this list is complete. Share your favorite in the comments below!
food, save money / consumer news, alysha del valle
- LA earthquake: 4.4-mag. quake shakes SoCal 31 min ago
- Ex-couple found guilty in East LA bank robbery
- IE teen gets 18 months in 'sextortion' plot
- Crimea declares independence; West hits back
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Burbank couple rescues child with mattress
- Lancaster man hit in deputy-involved shooting
- Actor Chris Pine pleads guilty to DUI
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- Malaysian plane search expands further
- abcnews: Woman says Scientology tore apart her family
- SEALs take oil tanker from Libyan rebels
- Stooges drummer Scott Asheton dies at 64
- OTRC: 'The Walking Dead' recap: Season 4, ep 14