Inland Empire News
Pig legs found at proposed mosque site in Ontario in apparent vandalism act
ONTARIO, Calif. (KABC) -- Vandals struck Tuesday night at the site of a proposed mosque in Ontario.
San Bernardino County Sheriff's confirm that three pig legs were thrown in the driveway of a home on Phillips Boulevard. The site is a house where Muslims gather to worship until a mosque is built there.
Worshippers say they saw two women throw the legs on the property before 10 p.m. and sped away in a white pickup. A security guard also saw the incident and a vandalism report was filed with the sheriff's department.
Muslims consider pigs unclean, and Muslim civil rights groups say such vandalism is especially offensive because this is the holy month of Ramadan.
Muslims are asking the U.S. Justice Department for a hate crime investigation. No investigation has been opened, but it could be in the future if officials believe it is warranted, said Thom Mrozek, spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Los Angeles.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
inland empire news
- Tornadoes strike Midwest; storms to persist 20 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Hollywood High honored for musical theater 27 min ago
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- United's 787 Dreamliners back in service 30 min ago
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- Yahoo buys Tumblr in $1.1 billion deal
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
23 min ago