Inland Empire News
Pig legs found at proposed mosque site in Ontario in apparent vandalism act
ONTARIO, Calif. (KABC) -- Vandals struck Tuesday night at the site of a proposed mosque in Ontario.
San Bernardino County Sheriff's confirm that three pig legs were thrown in the driveway of a home on Phillips Boulevard. The site is a house where Muslims gather to worship until a mosque is built there.
Worshippers say they saw two women throw the legs on the property before 10 p.m. and sped away in a white pickup. A security guard also saw the incident and a vandalism report was filed with the sheriff's department.
Muslims consider pigs unclean, and Muslim civil rights groups say such vandalism is especially offensive because this is the holy month of Ramadan.
Muslims are asking the U.S. Justice Department for a hate crime investigation. No investigation has been opened, but it could be in the future if officials believe it is warranted, said Thom Mrozek, spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Los Angeles.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
inland empire news
- Fallbrook bus crash leaves 1 dead, 22 hurt 28 min ago
- Tour bus rolls over on 15 Freeway in Corona 29 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 80+ hurt
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note 31 min ago
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court 9 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found 39 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer 9 min ago
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal 24 min ago
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis 26 min ago