Los Angeles News
Monrovia High School students confront bullying
MONROVIA, Calif. (KABC) -- Students at a local high school are joining forces to stop bullying. They gathered for an anti-bullying rally at Monrovia High School Friday morning.
The Center for Disease Control reports that between 15 to 20 percent of high school kids are bullied nationwide every day. That would indicate approximately 180 to 240 of the 1,200 Monrovia High students get bullied daily.
Organized by the school's anti-bullying club, the assembly addressed the problem head on. There was candid talk from therapists, as well as from those who were bullied and did the bullying.
"Not a lot of people like to talk about it," said student Derringer Solis. "You don't want to think about it really if it happens to you. It's not good, not fun."
The girls sat on one side of the gym and the boys on the other. The symbolism is that they're different, and that they accept and respect the differences that make up the student body.
"There is always an undercurrent, and it is always there," said student Infinie De La O. "I have friends who have had online bullying happen to them. I have heard of bullying happening in our school."
Monrovia High, like many schools, have decided to talk about bullying openly and frankly. One of the speakers asked the students to think about a low point in their lives and how that felt.
"Hurting someone, wounding someone," said Keith Johnson. "Remember the pain you felt when you too was wounded."
The anti-bullying club's motto, "Don't fight, hug tight." The students took a pledge not to bully anyone. They were asked to help each other keep that pledge and eliminate bullying all together.
centers for disease control and prevention, school, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 1 min ago
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones 17 min ago
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 15 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
6 min ago