Los Angeles News
New Year's Eve has free transportation alternatives
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There will be random DUI checkpoints to deter people from drinking and driving this New Year's Eve, but there are other ways for getting around town.
Whether it is Metrolink or Metro bus, it's free of charge beginning 9 p.m. on New Year's Eve until 2 a.m. the following morning. The Metro is also operating overnight 24-hour service from Dec. 31 into Jan. 1, and Jan. 1 into Jan. 2.
Jackson Limousine Service in Los Angeles is teaming up with Galpin Ford Studio Rentals to keep drunk drivers off the streets for New Years. The companies are offering to take you home from parties anywhere in Los Angeles, Long Beach and the South Bay.
They are offering the service free of charge from 11 p.m. on New Year's Eve until 6 a.m. the following morning. They say it is all about saving lives.
"That makes me feel good just to save one family," said E.J. Jackson from Jackson Limousine. "We hope to save many, but to save one is outstanding."
For those of you taking a road trip this holiday weekend, remember the California Highway Patrol will be out in force. The CHP and several law enforcement agencies will have DUI check points stationed at various locations this weekend.
"We will have every available officer working the roads, enforcing every traffic law," said Tamara McCormack from CHP. "Especially traffic laws such as DUI, speed laws, seat belt laws and distracted drivers."
From Hollywood to L.A. Live, there will be plenty of festivities going on for New Years. Some people out and about told us how they plan to celebrate the New Year.
"Right now we plan on going up north, going up to San Francisco," said Eagle Rock resident Flavio Hernandez. "We have family up there so we are going to spend some time in the Walnut Creek area. Hopefully come back fun-filled and no need to do anything else."
The free ride hotline is 800-522-9955.
new year's eve, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Brush fire scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- Suspect killed inside Alhambra PD station
- Purse found in search for missing woman in IE
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Laguna Beach sexual assault suspect sought
- Calif. unemployment rate falls to 9 percent
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured 5 min ago
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands 24 min ago
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash
- OTRC: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' movie review