Los Angeles News
Freedom School offers alternative to budget-slashed LAUSD summer school
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Unified School District has been hit hard by a shrinking budget. That's especially true for many summer school, where a lot of classes have been cut. However, there is an alternative.
Class is out for the summer for L.A. County public schools. The fields are empty, but the learning continues at Foshay Learning Center. You can hear it; you can even feel it.
Welcome to Freedom School, a fun-filled energy-packed summer reading enrichment program that teaches elementary, middle and high school students a love for reading.
"When you come here it gives you a chance to let your energy out and gain energy," said student Mackenzie Burch.
Every day starts with empowering sing-a-longs to build the children's self-esteem. That's followed by a reading by a guest speaker, and then classes.
This year at least 95 percent of LAUSD summer schools were slashed because of budget woes. To help fill that void Community Coalition is operating eight of what they call "Freedom Schools" locally. It's organized by the national Children's Defense Fund program, which benefits primarily underprivileged Latino and African-American students.
Jessie Fernandez is proof the program works. Years back he was one of the children. Now he's a student leader who's also working on his bachelor's degree.
"It's doubly fulfilling and meaningful for me to be able to come back and provide an alternative positive model of education," said Fernandez.
Mackenzie Burch invites all to join her.
"They could learn and they probably wouldn't know that they were learning," she said. "They would probably just be having fun."
In the end that's what it's all about.
education, los angeles news, q mccray
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests 7 min ago
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- Oklahoma tornado victims' names released
- Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte
- Local police officer accused of child molest
- Van Nuys stabbing victim's family speaks out 58 min ago
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- UC hospital workers' strike ends after 2 days
- abcnews: New Susan Powell video released
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment 5 min ago
- Charles Ramsey promised free burgers for life
- 'Hangover' films changed lives of the stars
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
56 min ago