New I.E. fwy plans push out residents
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- Plans to widen a local freeway come as good news to drivers but it means dozens of homeowners living along the 10 Freeway near Tippecanoe in San Bernardino could lose their houses and their land.
Anyone who has experienced driving in the area of Tippecanoe Avenue off Interstate 10 knows about the congestion there. Transportation officials have studied the problem for more than eight years. Finally a plan to improve the situation is getting close to final approval.
Gary Cohoe is director of freeway construction for San Bernardino Associated Governments, or SANBAG. He explains some of the major changes as he points to the map plan.
"We're going to eliminate this existing westbound off ramp and replace that with a new westbound off ramp. Here, that's going to tie into Harriman Place. Also in the same quadrant here, we're going to put in a new loop on ramp for westbound," explained Cohoe.
There are 20 to 25 residents many along Rosewood Drive and some businesses that will have to be moved. Samuel Meza has lived on Rosewood for seven years.
"I don't like it very much. My wife doesn't like it either," said Meza. "She said everything we got here is all here. We've got all the stores."
Sal Garcia's family has been in their home for 13 years.
"I just hope that we can get fair market value from this city and it's going to be better for the community here," said Garcia.
"We'll move folks to very nice accommodations and pay all the costs and pay a hefty price for their property," explained San Bernardino Mayor Patrick Morris.
eyewitness news, bob banfield
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought 25 min ago
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 24 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis