Shootings worry Perris military mom
PERRIS, Calif. (KABC) -- From her home in Perris, a military mother talked to Eyewitness News about the shooting in Fort Hood.
"This is one of the most horrific things that could happen in U.S. soil," said Lynne Guthrie, a mother of two soldiers. "I'm worried about when they're deployed and they're out of the country. But to have this happen, just out of the blue, right here -- there's really just no words that I could use to describe it."
Guthrie has twin sons in the Army, Private First Class Phillip Knox is stationed at Fort Hood. Guthrie was able to reach Phillip on his cell phone. The call was brief, but he was OK.
"He wasn't able to tell me much, but he said, 'Mom, we're OK, me and my wife are fine, quit crying.' Because of course I started crying as soon as I heard his voice. But he says, 'I've got to go mom, I'll call you back later because they're doing a head count,'" said Guthrie.
Guthrie was also able to contact Phillip's twin brother, Michael, a staff sergeant stationed at Fort Bliss and soon to be deployed to Iraq for the fourth time.
"My heart just goes out to all those other families of those injured and killed," said Guthrie. "This is just so unreal, this should not have happened."
Guthrie has been told it's unlikely both of her sons would be deployed, but still, there are things to worry about.
eyewitness news, bob banfield
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added 7 min ago
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Missing Pasadena City College hiker found
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate