Rielle Hunter announces split from John Edwards
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Rielle Hunter announced Tuesday that she is no longer romantically involved with former White House hopeful John Edwards.
On "Good Morning America," Hunter said the two mutually decided last week to part ways. But Hunter told George Stephanopoulos that one reason they split up was because she was "no longer interested in hiding."
She also said that she still loves Edwards. The two will continue to parent their daughter, Frances Quinn.
Hunter is promoting her new memoir and has come under fire for her criticisms of Edwards's late wife, Elizabeth, who battled cancer at the time of Hunter's affair with Edwards.
She said the public perceptions of all three of them were wrong.
"I think that it helps that we all are real humans and we all are not perfect. I don't think it serves the kids, including my own daughter, to have people believe that their father is a demon, when he's not, and that Elizabeth was a saint, because she wasn't, and that I'm a home wrecker. It doesn't serve anybody," said Hunter.
Hunter said although she doesn't consider her relationship with Edwards to have been a mistake, she would not want to relive the affair.
ABC News contributed to this report.
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student 46 min ago
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)