ABC7 On Your Side
ABC7 On Your Side: Flower savings
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- If you've ever put a beautiful bouquet of flowers in a vase one day and found those same flowers wilting the next, don't give up hope. There are some simple ways to keep your flowers looking better and lasting longer.
Cathy Vaucher loves fresh-cut flowers, and she's cut a lot of flowers over the years.
It's getting tougher to make ends meet these days, and ABC7 On Your Side is a campaign to help you save money. Watch Eyewitness News for money-saving tips and freebies to help stretch your dollar.
"I find it's very uplifting," said Cathy. "I pick flowers for my home from my own garden during the summer months, and I cut them and bring them in probably on a three-to-four-day basis."
But even flower lovers can get frustrated when the bloom goes off the rose too soon. It doesn't have to be that way.
"A cut flower can definitely continue blooming," said Kurt Schroeder from the Society of American Florists. "You should expect a bouquet of cut flowers to last seven days - a week - in your home."
You can keep the mojo in your marigolds longer with a few simple tricks. First, get cut stems out of the heat and into water as soon as possible. Don't leave your bouquet on a kitchen counter or in a hot car.
What's next? Schroeder says it's just three words: "Clean, clean and clean."
Cleaning means everything. Wash your vase thoroughly. Clean dirt and debris from flower stems, and make a fresh cut at the bottom. Remember to remove lower leaves before placing in water.
"Leave the rest of the foliage on. That actually helps to take up the water into the flower head, and acts as a beautiful natural filler," said Schroeder.
Finally, measure and use flower food. Read the directions to make sure your flowers are getting as much of the nutrients as they need.
All that's left is to sit back and enjoy.
"It's very cheery. The fragrance is always very nice to have. It's very pleasing," said Cathy.
For more information:
- Society of American Florists Care Tips
- 15 Tips that Will Make Cut Flowers Last Longer
- How to Make Cut Flowers Last Longer
abc7 on your side, david ono
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled 42 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Cool Kid helps children with special needs
24 min ago
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
5 min ago