ABC7 On Your Side
ABC7 On Your Side: Save on water
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The single largest user of water at most homes is the automated sprinkler system. But it is also the best place to start saving water. Use a smart sprinkler controller, and you could save as much as 1,200 gallons a month.
How is that possible? Smart controllers use your computer and Internet hookup to turn your sprinklers on and off based on local weather conditions soaked up from the U.S. Weather Service.
It's getting tougher to make ends meet these days, and ABC7 On Your Side is a campaign to help you save money. Watch Eyewitness News for money-saving tips and freebies to help stretch your dollar.
Precision sprinklers that mimic rainfall save about 500 gallons a month. Keep the grass longer and it will require less water.
Inside the house, a dual-flush toilet will keep 200 gallons a month from going into the sewer.
Using a dishwasher only when it's full - and the same with your washing machine - will avoid another 800 gallons a month going down the drain.
Finally, the Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont is the perfect place to get ideas for re-landscaping your yard with drought-tolerant, native California plants.
abc7 on your side, ric romero
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault 45 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break