Save Money With ABC7 On Your Side
ABC7 On Your Side: Best toilet paper
Toilet paper is an everyday necessity and depending on which one you buy, it can cost hundreds of dollars a year. With so many different kinds of toilet paper out there, it can be hard to choose the best one.
To test for strength, testers wet each sheet then dropped lead pellets to see how much weight the paper could hold before breaking.
It turns out a one-ply paper was just as strong as many two-ply rolls.
"You need a paper that will break down quickly after it's flushed. It's less likely to cause plumbing problems," said Consumer Reports' Jim Nanni. "Unfortunately, there's no way to tell by the label which paper will do that."
Another important consideration is softness. To determine this, trained sensory panelists touched and squeezed sheets of paper in a humidity-controlled chamber. The lights were dimmed so the testers can focus on the feel.
Testers also looked at how easy it is to tear a sheet of paper from the roll.
In the end, Consumer Reports top-rated Quilted Northern Ultra Plush for overall performance. But for about half the cost, Consumer Reports named Wal-Mart's White Cloud a best buy. While it's not quite as strong, it's soft, breaks up quickly, and it's easy to tear.
Consumer Reports says a couple of other toilet papers are also easy on your wallet. Scott Extra Soft is one. And if you're a Costco member, Kirkland Signature is also a good choice.
MORE L.A. BREAKING NEWS, WEATHER, TRAFFIC, SPORTS
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || WIDGET
save money with abc7 on your side, ric romero
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 22 min ago
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 48 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 13 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed 2 min ago
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...