You've Got To See This!
Paul the Octopus retires with perfect record
BERLIN, Germany (KABC) -- It appears that Paul the Octopus wants to go out on top.
He is retiring after eight correct predictions in the World Cup.
A spokeswoman for the aquarium in Oberhausen, Germany says the intuitive invertebrate will not give any more predictions and will instead go back to his former job of making children laugh.
The octopus became a pop culture sensation by correctly predicting the outcome of as many World Cup matches as he has legs, all seven of Germany's games plus the Spain versus Netherlands final.
Paul took one last curtain call on Monday.
Aquarium employees presented the octopus with a golden cup, similar to the official World Cup trophy.
The cup was garnished with three mussels which the octopus later devoured.
animal news, world cup, you've got to see this!
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves 37 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordinance scare prompts evacuations 30 min ago
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break