You've Got To See This!
Baby survives 2-inch hook through head
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (KABC) -- Jessiah Jackson, 17 months old, was reaching for a sippy cup when he tumbled off the side of his family's porch and landed head-first on a pressure washer.
A hook on the machine went into Jessiah's head just missing the main blood vessel in his brain. The only way to get him to the hospital was literally to saw him free.
The Jackson's neighbor, who is a former volunteer firefighter, helped get the boy out.
"His head was all the way hubbed up against the back of this bar, I went down by his shoulder blades and I cut through the bar this way, away from him," said neighbor Lavern Nobels.
Jessiah's aunt and uncle are emergency medical technicians, so they kept him still on the way to the hospital, knowing any sudden movement in the wrong direction could puncture the blood vessel, killing their nephew.
Surgeons discovered the hook was not only embedded two inches into Jessiah's head, it had also made a 90-degree turn inside his brain.
"The biggest complexity is that we have all of these challenges in a very young baby boy, whose amount of blood volume to begin with is not as high as yours or mine. So a few drops of blood here or there make a huge difference," said Dr. Anand Germanwala of the North Carolina Children's hospital.
Despite those challenges, the surgery went well, and doctors said Jessiah's prognosis is excellent.
"He's alert and back to his old self, to where he was before the accident. So with the help of the good lord and 'Dr. G,' he's a miracle baby," said Joseph Jones, Jessiah's grandfather.
unbelievable, you've got to see this!, phillip palmer
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 39 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found 19 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
49 min ago